Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Here we go...


Hey Folks,

I'm writing to let you know about a new project that I've taken on related to something I've grown to care about and believe in tremendously -- building homes for families. Most of you know I've been volunteering on Saturdays with Willamette West Habitat for Humanity  http://www.habitatwest.org/  where I've learned much and have regularly expanded my personal comfort zone. I walked on site over a year ago with no building experience what so ever and, though I have soooooo much more to learn (and about 5,000 more nails in my future till I get that right), I've acquired numerous skills under the tutelage of some super crew leaders. As well, I've worked past a major fear of heights. They continue to gently push me (and sometimes I get a needed shove) to become comfortable with things I never believed I could do. This new project is indeed one of them.


The project I'm taking on for 2013 is to not only join the crew to build this year's Women Build home on our BraunerBrook site in Hillsboro, OR, but also to participate in fundraising to get it built. Just a little heads up - never go to lunch with a gal named Mollie ;). So, this comes to you with a request for your support in any of a number of ways. 

Most importantly you can cheer me on. Honestly, just letting me know you think I can do this means so much to me. I'm sure fundraising isn't anyone's idea of a good time, so you can imagine my trepidation when finally committing to participate. Huge, for a commitment-phobe like me. :)

Secondly, any fundraising ideas you might have, large or small, to share would be helpful. I'm so creative that 'bake sale' was all I could come up with. :P Luckily, I know there are plenty of folks with ideas out there that I might be able to pull off. Two pals have already offered to help with a silent auction/brunch and a bunco party/dinner. If you'd like to attend either, let me know.

If you think you'd like to help me with a small fundraising project, that would be super. Working with someone always makes things easier and much more fun!

Finally, if you think this is a project you'd like to support with a donation or by attending a fundraising event, that would be great. If you'd like to write a check, please make it out to: Willamette West Habitat for Humanity and mail it to 5293 NW Elam Young Pkwy #140 Hillsboro, OR 97124 , with a note that it's designated toward Women Build 2013, It's Home or by donating online at:

Program Designation: The Women Build House
Dedication: click the 'on behalf of' button, type in It's Home

As little as $10 will do so much to make sure a family will finally have a home they can call their own. If you know others who may be interested in or support this project please feel free to pass this info along. I've created a blog http://womenbuildhabitat.blogspot.com and a public Facebook page It's Home http://www.facebook.com/pages/Its-Home/407853752622218 that I'll shortly start posting to weekly with info about WWHH and the Women Build project, including info about last year's house.

Please know that I fully understand that many of us have financial commitments elsewhere so a contribution isn't necessary to support my efforts in this. Words of encouragement and ideas will go a long way to help out. 

Many thanks!
Nanette

No comments:

Post a Comment